English translation | Brick à Brack

Become a member and enjoy many benefits, it's fast and free!

Hello dear friends, welcome to the newly translated Brick à Brack.
If you spot anything that sounds weird or not comprehensible, something that doesn't seem properly translated, please report it here so we can change that as soon as we can!

Hello dear friend,

First off, in English, "english" and "french" take a capital first letter.

"It has been over 9 years that we push ourselves " just sounds wrong, "For 9 years we have been pushing ourselves " would avoid using a past and a present tense in the same sentence.

"Brick à Brack becomes accessible to the English speakers!" also sounds wrong, there shouldn't be any "the".

"it is likely possible" --> "it is possible" or "it is likely" but not a mix of both.

"in our sleeves", that's "up our sleeves".

Apart from this the news are very understandable, though in some places you can still feel the French to English translation, in parts like "the relentless efforts of the whole staff" where you'd expect to read "the whole staff's relentless efforts". Sentences in English also have a tendency to be less convoluted than sentences in French, and sometimes reading you feels like you are trying to write down as much words as you can without necessarily having a reason to do so, like in "As many of you may have noticed", where you'd instead read either "As you may have noticed" or "As many of you have noticed". When you say "which is why we wanted to simplify those crucial steps" you never mention what those crucial steps are (not even in the French version ), and it feels again like you are trying to convolute what you are saying more than you should.

To summarise, leave the French behind! Stay concise, try to avoid copying the structure from French phrases to English ones ("La maison du monsieur" --> "The house of the man" "The man's house"), and that's it! Your English is already very good, it's just that it sounds a little off, which I believe is linked to the fact that you are translating from French in your heads instead of trying to directly write your sentences in English.

Yours Faithfully,

Tehkidah

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback, we have adjusted the news accordingly

On the other hand I disagree with this:

@TehkidahTo summarise, leave the French behind! Stay concise, try to avoid copying the structure from French phrases to English ones

As a translator you always have a choice to make; how close/truthfull do you want to be with your translation regarding the original version in terms of structure and expressions. This "dilemma" (which is really more a gradiant to pick from ) is especially visible in translations of ancient greek or latin texts. Do you try to keep the sentences structure, which may feel odd in the target language, or do you want to make it easily readable/accessible for the readers (while losing more of the original meaning)?

In our case we chose to stay as close to the French as possible, since it is an announcement in French first and foremost, the English is "only" a translation, we don't have & want to hide this fact!

Thank you @Tehkidah.

Although you are right and wrong about some of those lines, in the end this news is not that important. The first thing we needed was a fully operational system with all the major features translated. We can't hide the fact that for now this update (even this thread) is more functionalities oriented. Articles, tutorials and random texts are gonna be translated or written again when the time will come.

Last edited by Loïc (nov. 7, 2017 (09:16pm)).

I'm actually working on timezones support, maybe for tomorrow's update

@Maxou44I'm actually working on timezones support, maybe for tomorrow's update

Oh yeah, finally. I've been waiting for this for years.

Hi, I'll try to help out with fixing up translations as much as possible. So far, all I've noticed is the Brickfilmer badge which currently has the description "poste a brickfilm". "Post" should not be spelt with an e. Hope this helps

@JO CoHi, I'll try to help out with fixing up translations as much as possible. So far, all I've noticed is the Brickfilmer badge which currently has the description "poste a brickfilm". "Post" should not be spelt with an e. Hope this helps

Thanks, it's fixed!

My word, that was fast! Glad to be of help.

We're effective on Brick à Brack

Sponsors

Support us

Language

Français - English