Camera: Logitech webcam C920 | Capture: I Can Animate | Editing: Final Cut Pro X
Decorative Disorder (EASTER 2019)
This is my first full brickfilm at 25fps. It certainly does help smooth up the animation but will take some getting used to so everything still moves at the correct rate.
As I knew I would be slowly building up the Easter decorations in the house until the final scene, I began by filming the christmas shot. The brick-built boom for the camera went through a few revisions and in the end I settled for a simple move forwards followed by a slide down the slope to reach the window level.
As the shot only lasted a couple of seconds, the difference between the drab house and decorated surroundings needed extra emphasis. I did this by masking the house on each frame and reducing its saturation, while cranking up the saturation of everything else. As a finishing touch, I put a green screen snow effect over the top and scaled it as the camera moved.
The second shot was downstairs as I would only be using that set once. The astute among you may notice the poster on the wall says 'Easter 2016' rather than 2019 as, due to unecessarily complex timeline reasons, this is when the film is actually set.
The upstairs set is where the majority of this brickfilm takes place. The wreath of flowers was particularly irritating as it was fairly loose so I had to open the window behind Lily each frame to avoid knocking it.
Fortunately, the wreath was completely invisible in this shot so I could remove it entirely. The effect of opening the hanging decoration definitely benefited from the increased frame rate.
These were very quick shots of putting up the hanging decoration. Unfortunately the round tiles do not clutch correctly on a single stud so I was forced to blue-tack each one.
It was at this point I realised I had not accurately recreated the set from CATastrophe last year as the staircase should have been replaced by a wall and door. I did, however, place the roof back in the background to match the window view from before. This was the only indoor shot with a prominent enough exterior to warrant desaturation and rain effects.
As the animation could only last 20 seconds, I had to take every oppurtunity possible to make it appear the room was being continuously decorated. With the flashback to Christmas breaking up shot 7 and 8, I filled the remaining blank parts of room with 'Easter decorations'. Again, the full flower wreath was not required, so I simulated it with a more sturdy bunch at the edge of the wall.
Skipping the close up of sofa destruction, shot 10 was the last using the upstairs set on its own, now with lots of awkward loose and blue-tacked parts to bump. I briefly considered finding a hammer for Rupert but settled on him just flopping on the planks to connect the crucifix.
The final shot had the challenge of seamlessly moving out of the fully decorated upstairs room onto the street. I used a simpler flat brick-built boom and just pulled it back on this occaision. What the photo does not show is the second lamp behind the house used to prevent the lighting change from being too jarring.
Thanks, I managed to animate around 3 seconds over and the toughest part was definitely choosing what to lose. There was a nice bit of wind blowing at the end that I regret having to cut but the entire animation was defined by the 20 second limit so the result would likely have been completely different had I not been held to it. An interesting challenge, without a doubt!